Saturday, May 26, 2012

Christianity And Other Religions


Religions. I have nothing against it - so long as it's not forced upon me. Despite saying that, I must admit that people who don't practise what they preach seriously irk me. And this applies to religions too. In today's post, I will be focusing on Christianity, because it is usually the Christians who evangelise. Very rarely or perhaps never, do you see a Buddhist or a Muslim proactively "recruit" others to join their religion. At the very least, it has never happened to me.

On the other hand, I have been approached by (self-righteous) Christians many times, preaching to me about the greatness of God.

Incident number 1:

As a frequent go-er of Somerset, I have met this old man outside 313 many times. He would stuff this small booklet in my hand, demanding me to read it. The first time it happened, I took it unsuspectingly and realised it was a book on how Christ died for us and all that. That was okay, no big deal. Just some informational booklet...just read and throw away lor.

BUT. Here comes the ugly side of the story. Because my yoga place is at somerset and I go for yoga at least 3 times a week, I pass by 313 very often. The second time I met the old man, I declined his "good intentions". To my shock, he (presumably a Christian) demanded that I read it and be saved or I'll go to hell. I'm sorry, while it may be true that I'm not a holy person and not believing in Christ may send me to hell, I don't see how reading it will help? Just because I read the booklet doesn't mean I'll believe in Christ, and it doesn't mean that I will be a better person. Also, telling someone they will go to hell is not exactly the right way to convince someone that Jesus is the way to heaven.

Subsequently, every time I see the old man I just ignore him. If I end up in hell because of that...then I'm really damn suay lor. All those murderers and rapists don't go to hell because one day they passed by the old man and took the booklet so they end up in heaven, right? Then suay suay I have to pass by that old man so often and refuse to read the same booklet so I should go to hell lor.

Zzzz

Incident number 2:

I was on the internal shuttle bus of NUS when this girl sitting next to me gave me a tract to watch a Good Friday play. The act itself was acceptable to me and I said something like "Ok thanks." But she had to go on and on about how good Christ is and asked me whether I'm a Christian and why not...So when I replied "Oh I'm not interested.", she went on asking me if I'm ok because I look pale... I don't know but I thought I made it damn freaking obvious that I wasn't interested in talking about Christianity or making friends with her. I just wanted to rest...because I spent the whole night rushing an essay.

While I applaud her courage for approaching a stranger on the bus and trying to "reach out" to "less fortunate" others, I hope that more Christians would have higher EQs.

(The pastor at a church I attended before said that Christians should reach out to others who are not as fortunate to know Christ, hence the apostrophes used.)

Incident number 3:

I'm sure most non-Christians have been approached by friends to go to church. Inviting friends are fine. I've invited people to church before too. But if your friends have rejected you a few times already, persistently bugging them to go to church is just plain annoying. If this is what all Christians are like, why would I want to go to a church full of them? Come to think of it, these people are like those salespersons, especially at beauty salons, who will keep "hardselling" to you till you agree. *rolls eyes*

Incident number 4:

The most recent incident that happened to me was simply the most disgusting incident. This guy is the kind of Christian who goes to church every week and also posts bible verses on FB, proclaiming the love and goodness of God. So if you just visit his FB, you'll think he's a damn holy man. But recently, I found out that he cheated on his gf. To begin with, cheating is a damn shameful and despicable act that I can never accept even if it's not committed by a Christian. BUT BEING A CHRISTIAN MAKES IT WORSE. What's more, a seemingly staunch Christian. Isn't there a commandment in the Bible that says "Thou shalt not commit adultery"? To be honest, one does not even have to be Christian to know that. Couldn't you at least have the decency to break up with your gf before you get to know the other girl better??? It is simply unfair of you to hold on to her while getting to know the new girl. It is, for a lack of a better word, damn disgusting. 

AND YOU KNOW WHAT? THE GIRL FORGAVE HIM WHEN SHE FOUND OUT. Like wth?! Forgiving him is totally condoning his action. When he does cheat again, are we suppose to pity her? This may sound harsh, but I'm less likely to pity her. Because she has made the decision to be in a r/s with him,  being fully aware that he has cheated on her. 

If you think that it is bad enough that a seemingly staunch Christian cheated on his gf, behold what he posted after his gf forgave him:

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us out sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

To be fair, it could be referring to anything that happened in his life. But the timing of the post and the reconciliation with his gf, I cannot help but to think that the 2 incidents are related. While it may be true that God is a great and forgiving God, the way this guy makes me feel is that: It's okay if I cheated, God is so great he will forgive me. See, he forgave me! My gf forgave me leh!

Like seriously, how can anyone not be grossed out by that?! And how do you expect to reach out to non-Christians like that?! Because if this is what Christianity is about, I wouldn't want to be associated with it.


So, what's my point of writing all these? Am I anti-Christianity or am I an atheist? Well, I was baptised before when I was about 9? But I have stopped attending church for more than 3 years now. Yet I still wear a cross around my neck every single day because it was the very first gift that I remember my dad giving to me. When someone asks me if I'm a Christian, I always hesitate to answer, because while I believe that God is real, I feel that saying yes would ruin the reputation of other Christians, just like those I've mentioned above have. What I want to say is that, it is fine to have a religion, in fact religions are good because they have helped many people to carry on with their lives with something to hold on to and to live for. However,one should not impose their views on others, especially if they don't practise what they preach. 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Olly! Happened to read this and I'd agree with what you say about how people seek to impose their views upon others. What you've shared sounds pretty awful too..

    Well, sharing good news (or what I or others may perceive as good) comes with tact and, as you would say, EQ too. I'm sure you'll be more willing to listen if they'd exercise more of that! In any case, don't be too shy to voice your opinion in their faces :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tact and EQ is definitely needed! Also, one has to choose the right place and the right time to share! Thank goodness Danny you're not like those I mentioned. Hopefully more Christians will learn to share in a less offensive manner :)

      Delete
  2. Whether it's christians, buddhists or any other religion, there are extremists and cray cray people everywhere!! (Case in point: onemillionmoms.com) so try not to take them too seriously :) :)

    Also you're making me feel bad for posting so many entries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh my first sentence did not make any grammatical sense

      Delete
    2. LOL seep the onemillionmoms.com thing is hilarious. crazy moms. Mmm I think there are extremists everywhere but somehow there just seem to be more christian extremists? Like no Buddhists or Muslims have ever preached to me.

      Haha anyway I really like blogging lah because I've so much opinions abt things but nowhere to voice them. It's like my way of de-stressing also so I don't keep things to myself!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Olivia,

    Thanks for sharing your views! I applaud for your courage to speak what's on your mind.But bearing in mind that, not every Christians behave or portray themselves like that and not every Christians are perfectly Godly and wise all the time. I believe that that day when we receive Christ and believe in Christianity, we do not instantly brand ourselves as perfect Christians and faithfully following the principles taught in the bible all the time even though we as Christians should do so. There will be times where we sin and as Christians, we repent to God. Christianity has alot of depth to it and it is definitely more than evangelism, sinning, repenting,forgiving. There's also the values and the moral teachings of God. Looking at a broader spectrum, Christianity is not only about believing in God. There's alot more to it. Several young christians jump into this religion without understanding what it is all about so many a times, they will stray away easily or commit sinful acts. So I hope that you could look at Christianity with an open heart again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deenise,

      I agree that not all Christians are like that and I do not expect Christians to be perfect. What I'm trying to say is that there exists a number of Christians who are imposing their religious views on others and this can be both disrespectful and offensive to others with differing religions. Thus, instead of reaching out to non-Christians, the actions of some Christians serve a counter effect instead.

      While acknowledging again that the behaviors of some Christians are not representative of the whole religion, it is important to note that because of their religious identities, some inkling to the religion as a whole will be made. Thus, if I were to outrightly declare that I'm a (staunch) Christian, I would watch my behavior at all times, just like how a student in her school uniform is expected to behave herself in public at all times.

      Having said all that, I think I agree most with what a friend of mine said, "Dont put faith in Christians or Christianity, have faith in Christ." :)

      Delete
  4. Another example is door to door evangelists who do not respect other religions. When a person clearly displays another deity on their front door, it is very insulting when evangelists insist that they need to be saved. Can't they accept that they have their own savior? And yes, true story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I agree completely! All religions should be respected, and who is to say that their religion is superior to others? While it is nice of them to share the "good news" with others, they should do it at the right time and the right place. Even so, it should be done with tact and not forced upon the individuals!

      Delete